Laos Travel Guide (Part II)
The Gibbon Experience: Gibbon Experience with the appearance of the world highest tree houses shall give you the experience of waking up surrounded by gibbon. This is also one of the best way to admire the natural beauty of Laos.
Exploring Phou Khao Khouay National Park: Phou Khao Khouay National Park is the destination offering you the experiences of trekking, wildlife watching, orchid spotting, kayaking and cycling, or just relaxing under beautiful waterfalls amidst lush green vegetation. Come here to enjoy the natural beauty, from evergreen dipterocarp forest to large pine tree stands to extensive bush land and bamboo groves, from sandstone plateaus to steep rough mountain slopes.
Trekking in the Nam Ha National Protected Area: Ecotourism activities in and around the Nam Ha NPA offer visitors a unique opportunity to explore the diverse environments, stay in traditional villages and support local conservation programs. A trek to this area is also a message to villages about the value of protecting the environment.
Things to do
Cooking courses and food walks: Talking about food and food walks, all the roads leading to Luang Prabang with tamarind and bamboo trees on two sides are your destinations.
Kayaking in Vang Vieng: Vang Vieng has been attractive to different sorts of tourists for one of its most interesting activities – kayaking on the Nam Song River surrounded by rugged karsts and beautiful rural scenery and exploring limestone caves. It is said that a vessel you choose and a trip on river is a must while in Vang Vieng.
Tubing along the river of Vang Vieng.
Buddha Park: Built in 1958, Buddha Park is a sculpture park located around 25 km southeast from Vientiane, Laos in a meadow by the Mekong. The park is a famous sculpture park with more than 200 religious statues including a huge 40-metre high reclining Buddha image.
Best time to visit
The most ideal time to visit Laos is between November and February during which, there is little rain, the weather is not too hot and the rivers water level is high. Rainy season in Laos is from May to October while it is so hot in April.
What it will cost
Laos can be the destination for many travellers at different budgets as your budget depends much on your style of travelling. Accommodation in Laos for budget travellers is in the form of Guest Houses that normally offer a selection of different rooms, with fan, with air con, double or single. The room rate is varied ranging from 20,000 Kip for a double fan room. The number can reach 60,000 to 80,000 Kip (8USD – 10USD) per night for air conditioned double rooms. A more comfortable accommodation may cost 20 USD to 30 USD per day.
What to watch out for
- While Lao are generally trustworthy people and theft is much less common than elsewhere in Southeast Asia, petty theft has been on the rise recently in big cities including Vientiane capital. Drugstores are quite popular in some cities like Vang Vieng and Don Dhet.
- Tuk tuk is a very popular and trustworthy way of transport in Laos, but in general, do not trust tuk tuk drivers who offer you extra service or money exchanges. Don’t leave your bags with them or let them take you to get your visa following their suggestion.
We can travel by tuk tuk in the trip in Laos.
- The majority of Laotians are said to be friendly and hospitable/ however, you may come across a predatory opportunist seeking for the careless or naïve travellers. Thus, be opened, friendly but don’t forget the place you are in when visiting Laos.
- Rather than US Dollars or Thai Baht, the local currency the Kip is now widely accepted and trusted. Laos has ATM machines, but they can be sparsely located in Luang Prabang, Vientianne, Huay Xai and Vang Vieng.
- Always wear a helmet when you are on motorbike in Laos.